Sunday, January 15, 2012

Can I customise a Kindle? Is it possible to change something I don't like about my Kindle?

   

Can I customise a Kindle? Is it possible to change something I don't like about my Kindle?


Can I customise a Kindle? Is it possible to change something I don't like about my Kindle?

I really love my Kindle e-reader, but I have one small niggle. I wonder if there is any way of changing the pictures that appear when it is switched off? They are very repetitive and I do not care for some of the authors and images displayed. Preferably I would like to substitute some pictures of my own, as I can with the desktop and screensaver on my PC. Can this be done?
Margaret Keith, by email
Yes it can, and it is called Jailbreaking, but I should warn you that it’s not an authorised procedure and there is a risk, albeit a very small one, that you could lose your downloaded books or if you really muck it up, even damage the device. It involves downloading a couple of pieces of hacking software to your PC. The first one carries out the Jailbreak, the second one creates an accessible screensavers folder into which you load your pictures. Don’t worry, your old screensavers are automatically saved and you can still use the ones that you like. The two programs have to be installed and run on the Kindle in sequence, so you need know how to connect it to your computer by USB cable and copy and paste files. Ready made Kindle screensavers are available but if you want to use your own images you’ll need a suitable picture editing program on your PC to convert them to the correct format, which is 600 x 800 pixel, 8-bit greyscale and saved in .png format. As you can see it’s not for absolute beginners. That said, if you follow the instructions carefully it is not too difficult and there are plenty of tutorials on the web. I would start with the one by How-To Geek, which includes links to the necessary files for all Kindles up to version 3.2. As far as I’m aware there is as yet no Jailbreak for the new Kindle 4, but someone is bound to be working on it.

Can I customise a Kindle? Is it possible to change something I don't like about my Kindle?


computer technology

About computer technology

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Fashion,Fashion Style Ttrends, hair Style, Fashion Style, Fashion Style Fashion,Fashion Style Ttrends, hair Style, Fashion Style, Fashion Style 2015